Cherry Oat Scones
1-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup Quaker Oats (quick or old-fashioned, uncooked)
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) margarine or butter, chilled
1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries
1/3 cup skim milk
1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1 egg, lightly beaten
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray cookie sheet with Nonstick cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine flour, oats, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; mix well. Cut in margarine with 2 knives until mixture is crumbly. Stir in dried cherries.
- Add combined: milk, yogurt and egg; mix with fork just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead gently 8 to 10 times.
- Roll or pat dough into 8-inch circle about 3/4 inch thick. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Cut with 2-1/2 inch heart-shaped biscuit cutter or cut into 10 wedges with sharp knife; transfer to cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 to 14 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Transfer to wire rack. Serve warm.