- 1-1/2 to 2 lbs. beef stew meat
- ¼ cup butter
- 1-1/2 lbs. small onions
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- generous ½ cup Chateau Grand Traverse Barrel Fermented Chardonnay
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 2 – 3 whole cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- generous 2 tablespoons currants or raisins
- Salt and pepper
- Season meat with salt and pepper. Melt butter and coat meat in it, but do not brown. Arrange onions over meat.
- Mix tomato paste, wine, vinegar, sugar and garlic. Pour over meat and onions. Do not stir.
- Add remaining ingredients; cover and simmer 1-1/2 to 3 hours until meat is very tender. Do not stir. For thicker sauce, remove meat and onions and boil sauce to reduce.
- Serve with sesame bread, mashed potatoes and/or steamed green beans, accompanied by a glass of Chateau Grand Traverse Silhouette!