RED WINE COOKIE RECIPE | CHATEAU GRAND TRAVERSE
Red wine and cookies are an incredible combination, but what happens when you put red wine in your cookies? The answer is: magic! And the good news is that chef Perry at Chateau Grand Traverse has decided to share his signature red wine cookie recipe. These are the same red wine cookies that have been impressing guests of our Inn for years.
If you’ve ever stayed at the Chateau Grand Traverse Inn, this may bring back a fond memory of eating these cookies on your visit. Making them at home is a great way to bring back those memories. If you haven’t stayed at the Inn, this unique Italian classic is something you need to try to satisfy your sweet tooth.
This Italian red wine cookie recipe is sure to please – especially when served warm!
Chef Perry’s Signature Red Wine Cookie Recipe
This recipe yields eight dozen cookies and is the exact recipe chef Perry uses for the Inn at Chateau Grand Traverse. (Not baking for a party? Below this original recipe is a version that will make only four dozen cookies.)
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup Chateau Grand Traverse Select Sweet Traverse Red
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups cocoa powder
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 30 ounces dark chocolate chips
Red Wine Cookies Recipe (Four Dozen)
- 6 tablespoons (3 oz. unsalted butter), softened
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Chateau Grand Traverse Sweet Traverse Red
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 15 ounces dark chocolate chips
Directions for Baking Red Wine Cookies
- Heat oven to 350° F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a reusable silpat.
- In an electric stand mixer, beat the butter, shortening, sugar and brown sugar until fluffy. Stirring on low, add the eggs, wine and vanilla.
- Slowly add in the cocoa powder followed by the flour, wheat germ, soda and salt. Mix well and scrape down bowl as needed. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using a 1/8-cup scoop, place 12 balls of dough on each cookie sheet. Be sure to leave room for the cookies to expand.
- Bake each tray of cookies for 14-16 minutes, check for doneness.
- Remove from oven and place cookies on wire cooling racks for 10 minutes.
Shop Chateau Grand Traverse Wines
If you’re ready to start baking, order Chateau Grand Traverse Sweet Traverse Red wine online today to get started, or visit us to pick up a bottle in person. A variety of our wines are available at retail stores – perfect for sipping and cooking. Learn more about cooking with our wines on the Chateau Grand Traverse blog.