Cherry Oatmeal Muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup frozen tart cherries, chopped
- Granulated sugar
- Put oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Combine buttermilk, egg, oil and almond extract in a small bowl. Pour buttermilk mixture into oats mixture; stir just to moisten ingredients.
- Quickly stir in cherries (it is not necessary to thaw cherries before chopping and adding to batter).
- Spray muffin pan with non-stick spray. Fill muffin cups two-thirds full. Sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 12 muffins.