Considering a Dry January? Try a Red Wine Resolution Instead!
The concept of a “Dry January” is becoming a more and more popular New Year’s resolution, with folks deciding to give up all alcohol consumption for the month of January. As the New Year begins and the holidays are firmly behind us, January is a great time to decrease your alcohol consumption and get back to your normal routines for the year. That said, there’s no reason to force yourself into going cold turkey after a party-filled season if you don’t want to!
Regular consumption of red wine in moderation has actually been proven to be better for your health than giving up alcohol entirely. So if you’re considering a Dry January but feeling hesitant to go cold turkey, drink one glass of red wine with dinner as a way to practice healthy moderation and get back on track this month. Here are five reasons to consider a Red Wine Resolution, instead:
- Better Sleep – While plenty of people think of a nightcap as helpful for sleep, drinking right before bed actually prevents you from reaching the deep REM sleep that is so important. A glass of wine with dinner, however, has been proven to lead to better sleep.
- A Healthier Heart – Red wine offers a healthy boost of polyphenols, a type of antioxidant that reduces unwanted clotting and helps keep your blood vessels flexible. Studies have also shown that red wine can decrease levels of LDL (the bad cholesterol), decreasing risk of heart attack.
- Improved Memory – Research shows that red wine may help prevent Alzheimer’s and dementia, especially when paired with a Mediterranean diet. The compound resveratrol is responsible, which is found in grape skins and therefore also in red wine.
- Decreased Weight Gain – Studies have shown that red wine may help fight weight gain. Piceatannol, a compound found in red wine, binds to the insulin receptors in fat cells and inhibits their ability to develop and grow. This means a glass of red wine paired with a healthy diet just might do double time fighting weight gain.
- It’s More Fun! – Even if you have a healthy relationship with alcohol, going cold turkey can be tricky. Committing to drinking less – a glass of red wine a few times a week – instead of going dry—means you can still enjoy a nice meal out and “cheers” with your friends for making it through the holidays!
Of course, red wine is far from a cure-all. While there are health benefits associated with drinking a glass or two alongside a healthy meal, these benefits are best reached by maintaining a healthy lifestyle with a sensible diet and plenty of regular exercise. If you’re drinking too much, eating wrong and being sedentary (like maybe you were during the holidays), these benefits disappear completely and are replaced with potential health issues.
If being healthy is in your resolution this year, try eating a balanced diet, getting plenty of fresh air and exercise and, yes, drinking less, but still treating yourself to a glass of red a few times a week.
Chateau Grand Traverse offers plenty of dry red wines to enjoy during your Red Wine Resolution January!