- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- generous ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg—if using commercially ground nutmeg, use a scant ½ teaspoon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- grated zest of ½ lemon
- grated zest of ½ orange
- 1 cup golden raisins
- ¾ cup (6 oz.) Chateau Grand Traverse Cherry Port
- 1 egg beaten
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees—this is not a typo—really, 300 degrees. Grease and flour an 8-inch (6 cup) small Bundt pan.
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, sugar, nutmeg and allspice.
- Cut the butter in very finely with a pastry blender until the mixture looks like coarse meal. Add the citrus zests and raisins, mixing until well distributed.
- Combine port with the beaten egg and add to the dough, mixing well. Turn into prepared pan, smooth the top lightly and bake for 1 hour and 15-25 minutes, until a cake tester inserted comes out clean. Turn out and cool on a wire rack.
Can be served with powdered sugar sifted over the top, or with whipped cream or just plain.
This cake dries out quickly so keep in a plastic bag or wrap it tightly in plastic wrap.