Braised Beef with Mushrooms & Barley
- 1 boneless beef chuck arm, blade or shoulder pot roast (about 3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ pound medium cremini or button mushrooms, halved
- 1 mediu onion, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup ready-to-serve beef broth
- ¼ cup CGT Barrel Fermented Chardonnay
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup medium pearl barley
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 1/3 cup dairy sour cream (optional)
- Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown beef pot roast; remove. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add mushrooms, onion and garlic to stockpot; cook and stir until onion is lightly browned. Add broth, wine and bay leaf. Return pot roast; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1 ½ hours. Stir in barley; continue cooking, covered, 45 – 60 minutes or until pot roast is fork tender. Remove pot roast; keep warm. Discard bay leaf.
- Add peas and sour cream to barley. Cook and stir over low heat just until heated through. Carve pot roast. Serve with CGT Barrel Fermented Chardonnay.