Salmon Poached in White Wine Recipe | Chateau Grand Traverse
Poached Salmon Recipe – It’s That Time of Year!
Fishing boats dot Grand Traverse Bay as the salmon run returns, and the likelihood of a successful evening on the lake swells. For those who take part in this brief season each year, salmon can be a bountiful source of both fishing entertainment and nourishment. For those who aren’t spending their evenings on the fishing boat, this is still a wonderful season to connect with our local waters by enjoying some fresh salmon.
What better way to enjoy that fresh fish than poaching it in Chateau Grand Traverse white wine? Poached salmon is simple to make, and the simplicity emphasizes the flavor of the wine used to make it. Seamlessly bring together our green peninsula and the water that surrounds it, with a dish made to celebrate the region.
Salmon Poached in White Wine
2 1/2 cups dry white wine, divided (we recommend using our Ship of Fools White)
2 cups water
2 thyme sprigs
1 bay leaf
1 shallot, peeled and halved
4 6-ounce salmon fillets
1 stick of cold, unsalted butter, cut into about 8 pieces
- Pour yourself a glass of wine – because when you’re cooking with wine, you should be drinking it too!
- Combine 2 cups of the wine with the water, thyme, bay leaf and shallot in a large, non-reactive saucepan. Bring the liquid to a gentle simmer.
- Generously salt the salmon fillets, and add them to the simmering liquid. While maintaining that gentle simmer, cook the salmon for about six minutes, turning it once. Cooking time may vary, depending on the thickness of your fillets.
- While the salmon is cooking, bring the remaining 1/2 cup of wine to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Whisk the butter into the wine, one piece at a time, until it’s thoroughly incorporated. Season with salt.
- Transfer the cooked salmon to a plate, and pat it dry with a paper towel. Drizzle the sauce on top.
Don’t forget to serve this dish alongside a fresh bottle of wine!
Still looking for your favorite bottle of Chateau Grand Traverse wine? Stop by our tasting room to try them all for yourself!