- 1-1/2 lbs. lean hamburger
- ½ cup milk
- ¾ cup Italian style bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Butter or oil
- 3 green peppers, cut into chunks
- 2 onions, cut in 8ths
- 6 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup beef broth
- ¾ cup Chateau Grand Traverse Gamay Noir
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- ¼ cup water
Mix meat, milk, bread crumbs, parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Shape into balls and brown in butter or oil. Remove meatballs. Add green peppers, onions and mushrooms and sauté for a few minutes until the peppers and onions begin to soften. Vegetables should be crisp tender—be careful not to overcook.
Put meatballs back into pan, add beef broth, wine and soy sauce and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes or until meat is cooked.
Mix cornstarch with ¼ cup water and stir into meatball mixture. Cook until slightly thickened.
Can be made a day ahead, refrigerated and reheated. Develops more flavor with standing.
Serve with noodles or potatoes, accompanied by a glass of Chateau Grand Traverse Silhouette.